E-A-T stands for “Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness.” In the context of search engine optimization (SEO), E-A-T is a concept that refers to the quality and credibility of the content on a website, as well as the expertise, authority, and trustworthiness of the individuals or organizations that create and publish the content.
In December 2022, Google updated its Quality Rater Guidelines for search and introduced the concept of E-E-A-T, adding the letter “E” for Experience to the acronym.
This indicates that the content quality can also be evaluated through the lens of understanding the extent to which the content creator has firsthand experience in the topic.
How Subject Matter Experts Can Show Experience
- Include an author profile with credentials: This can include information about your education, professional experience, and any relevant certifications or licenses.
- Include personal experience and opinions:
- Raw information alone is not valuable, and it is the expert interpretation of that information that turns it into insight.
- By sharing a unique opinion, content can stand out from the competition and offer more value to the reader. This creates mental availability with the reader.
- Back up opinions with data and evidence, as it adds credibility and helps the reader to understand and trust the opinion.
- Use credible sources: This can include citing research studies, industry publications, and other reputable sources of information.
- Lily Ray: E-E-A-T and major updates to Google’s quality rater guidelines https://searchengineland.com/google-search-quality-rater-guidelines-changes-december-2022-390350